"Botgirl's Human Improvement Program" is being launched here today to promote the healthy co-existence of human and virtual identities. I'm certainly no Eckhart and Oprah hasn't been calling, but I will do my best to periodically offer a few ideas and exercises to support avatar-human harmony and mutual improvement.
For today, let's start with a simple exercise:
- Pick one positive trait your avatar possess that you would like to better integrate into your human identity: Creativity, confidence, spontaneity, etc.
- Imagine a specific scenario where you can apply the trait in your human life. For instance, confidence might be applied to help you introduce yourself to someone in a social situation instead of standing in a corner nursing a drink.
- Before bed each night, imagine yourself as the avatar expressing the positive trait you've selected. Once you experience it deeply, lightly tap your left wrist with your right index finger.
- Next, imagine yourself in human form in the situations you've chosen to apply the new trait. Tap your left wrist again and allow yourself to imagine the new feelings and behaviors you seek. You can optionally imagine your avatar looking on from above and smiling at you.
- After you've done this for a few nights, go out and practice the new ability in the situation you've been visualizing. Perhaps you will go out to a club in order to practice confidence. In that case, before you go introduce yourself, close your eyes for a moment, tap your wrist as in the bedtime exercise and imagine your avatar smiling down from above. Then open your eyes and go for it!